Like the community in which it resides, FUMC Beeville has a long and blessed history.
From the Texas Historical Commission marker on Church grounds:
“In 1861, three years after Bee County was organized, the Rev. Berry Merchant of Corpus Christi assisted Beeville Methodists in establishing the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Between 1862 and 1870, circuit riding preachers ministered to the congregation, and worship services were often held in Bee County’s original courthouse, a small wood-frame structure.
The congregation erected its first sanctuary, a wood-frame building, in the early 1870s at the corner of Bowie and Monroe streets. In 1904, the congregation relocated to this site and built a Gothic structure with stained glass windows. It was replaced with a newer and larger worship facility in 1955.
The congregation was part of the Corpus Christi Methodist District almost continually until 1891, when Beeville itself became a district headquarters. A district parsonage was maintained until 1927, when the city again was absorbed into the Corpus Christi District.
Denominational mergers caused the congregation to change its name to the First Methodist Church in 1939 and to the First United Methodist Church in 1968. It continues to play an active role in the religious life of this community.”